Lichtenstein Castle confirms the existence of all fairy tales and legends about knights. Even though it was built in the XIX century, the cause of its construction was exactly the literary image.
The romantic saga “Lichtenstein” by Wilhelm Hauff forced Duke Wilhelm von Ulrich, Count of Württemberg, to pay attention to the ruins of the fortress Lichtenstein. Let’s remember its history. This fortress was built in 1390 and in the Middle Ages, it was inaccessible. In 1567 it ceased to be the residence of Dukes. As a result, nobody kept the fortress in good order and in a hygienic condition, so it became neglected. In order to clear a space for the fort, in 1802 the fortress was demolished. In 1837 Duke Wilhelm bought the ruins of Lichtenstein and in 1842 it was restored. What’s interesting that he also made some ideas about future castle views, apparently inspired by the romantic image of the novel “Lichtenstein”.
As a result, we can see beautiful castle in neo-gothic style. The walls up to the second floor are preserved from the old fortress. Behind small bridge it’s possible to see wonderful castle, consisting of different constructions: the gate, decorated with towers and battlements, two-storey and three-storey palaces with lancet windows, terraced tongs and bay windows. Behind these constructions we can see a lofty donjon, topped with a crown gear.
Speaking about Liechtenstein castle interior, only some details of previous fortress remained. For example, the Gothic altar and medieval windows. That’s why now it’s possible to see the castle as it was conceived in the XIX century. In the royal apartments on the upper floor there is a gallery of ancestor portraits, and an armory can serve as festive hall. The Duke and his family live in the north wing of the castle, where visitors aren’t allowed.